Traits Of An Empathic Child
An empathic child is very sensitive to energies around them; emotions that are and are not their own. They pick up the emotions and energies of others which may lead them to withdraw or act out.
I have a daughter who is empathic. We would often find her in her own quiet space at home after a day at school for several hours. She also does not like large crowds and we find her separating herself from the pack to a quiet place fairly quickly.
School always was the toughest for her because she was always seated around the rowdier kids (because she was so quiet and well-behaved), which drove her crazy. She would come home and have quite the time undoing herself from the tangle of energies from the day.
A child with the following traits tends to take on an overload of energies from others and have different reactions when in those situations.
- Highly Sensitive– children who are highly sensitive tend to be tuned into the environment and vibrational energy around them.
- Withdraws– gets overwhelmed in noisy, public places so tends to withdraw. They can be seen as shy.
- Know Information– You may see children who just “know” and do not need to study in school.
- Over-Expressive– tends to get louder than the external noise trying to drown it out. The are often seen as physically or verbally out of control.
- Very Strong Emotions– whether they are displaying sadness, happiness, or being scared.
- Bedtime Issues– tends to have bedtime issues with going to bed or waking up often during the night.
- Depressive Episodes– you may possibly notice depressive episodes when an empathic child finds it difficult to separate their emotions from others. They get confused about this.
- Illnesses– may try to shutdown emotional activity by catching illness- possibly “stomach aches”.
Techniques For An Empath To Release Trapped Energies
- Spend time in nature– you may find that your child likes to spend time in nature and/or connect their energies to animals, plants, water, etc…
- Create a quiet space that is all their own free from others’ energies- this could be in their bedroom, a place indoors or outdoors that allows for the pets to join.
- Use protective stones, as your empathic child may be naturally drawn to them. Let them feel and touch the stones and pick them out themselves by how they feel.
- Hang up a dreamcatcher. My daughter could not settle down at night, very restless with unpleasant dreams, so we hung up a Native American dreamcatcher. She felt an immediate sense of peace at night.
- Create- through journaling, music (play an instrument) and art/ drawing. You will probably notice that an empathic child is a more creative child and will gravitate to writing or art-inspired outlets. Provide the materials and let them alone to release trapped energies through this method.
With the fast-paced world we live in, we must be careful to love and nurture our empathic child. It is a very confusing, upsetting world for an empathic child who does not understand how to handle the emotions coming at them from all angles. They need the time to release the energies through many avenues. Support them and remember that they don’t always know why they shut down or have outbursts, and it scares them. Encourage them to try the techniques to release energies at least once a day. They will feel so much better for doing so!
Please drop me a comment below on how you help a child who is empathic.